As the temperatures start to drop in San Antonio, it’s important to start thinking about how to prepare your lawn for winter. Proper lawn care in the fall can help ensure that your grass stays healthy and green throughout the colder months and is ready to thrive when spring rolls around again.
Here are some tips for preparing your lawn for winter in San Antonio:
- Keep mowing until the grass stops growing: In San Antonio, grass can continue to grow until November or December. Keep mowing your lawn until the grass stops growing to ensure that it stays healthy and strong.
- Fertilize: Fall is a great time to fertilize your lawn because the soil is still warm and the grass is still actively growing. Use a slow-release fertilizer to provide the grass with the nutrients it needs to survive the winter.
- Aerate: Aerating your lawn helps to break up compacted soil and allows water, air, and nutrients to reach the roots of your grass. Aerating in the fall can help improve the overall health of your lawn and encourage new growth in the spring.
- Overseed: If your lawn has thin or bare patches, now is a good time to overseed. This will help fill in any gaps and provide a thicker, healthier lawn in the spring.
- Rake up leaves: As the leaves start to fall, be sure to rake them up off of your lawn. Allowing leaves to sit on the grass can lead to mold and disease, and can even kill off sections of your lawn.
- Protect your lawn from winter weather: In San Antonio, winter weather can be unpredictable. To protect your lawn from freezing temperatures and heavy snow, consider covering it with a winter blanket or burlap. This will help keep the grass warm and prevent damage.
By following these tips, you can help ensure that your lawn stays healthy and strong throughout the winter and is ready to thrive in the spring. Happy lawn care!